Ads By Google

Monday, September 17, 2012

ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Rohit Sharma upbeat despite loss against Pakistan

ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Rohit Sharma upbeat despite loss against Pakistan
Batsman Rohit Sharma scored 56 runs in the warm-up game and added 127 runs for the third wicket to help India set a competitive target for Pakistan on Monday © AFP
By CricketCountry Staff

Colombo: Sep 17, 2012

Indian batsman Rohit Sharma is upbeat India's chances despite the loss against Pakistan in their second warm-up match of the International Cricket Council (ICC) World T20 2012 on Monday.

According to Rohit, India’s loss in the practice match won’t dent team’s confidence. He was quoted by BCCI’s official website as saying, “It is not the end, it is just the start and there is still a long way to go in the tournament.

“Unfortunately, things didn’t go our way today [but] 186 was a good target on this track because I thought there was a little bit of help for the spinners.

“But yes, it was one of those days where things didn’t come together. We still have one more day before the official game on 19th so we will see how we can come back.”

Rohit is glad to have made use of the two warm-up matches to regain confidence ahead of the tournament. The batsman scored 56 runs in the warm-up game and added 127 runs for the third wicket to help India set acompetitive target for Pakistan on Monday.

He said, “Certainly, it helped a lot. I wanted to make full use of these two warm-up games because getting into a tournament with bad form is not a good way to go into a tournament.

“Even in Chennai when we played against New Zealand I didn’t get to bat [much]. So these two warm-up games were very important from a personal point of view. And I am glad I made full use of it.

“So I am just looking forward. I don’t want to lose this form, I just want to bat, and I don’t want to take any pressure also because I just want to keep myself calm, free and composed.”

India’s loss against Pakistan came despite scoring 185 runs. Rohit however feels that blaming the bowlers won’t be fair.

He said, “It was a warm-up game but we were very focussed and we wanted to win this game. We were quite intense in the field.

“It’s just that our bowling didn’t click together which is a little bit frustrating because, if you want to win the game everything has to click together.

“It’s just that. Our bowlers did a pretty good job in the first warm-up game when we defended 145 [odd runs] on that flat track. I don’t want to take any credit away from them. They have been bowling really well. I am sure they will come well as the tournament progresses.”

Rohit felt the pitch was good for batting at R Premadasa Stadium. Regarding the pitch, he said, “The wicket was very good to bat on, as you saw more than 180 runs were scored in both the innings. It was a typical Sri Lankan wicket; if you bat well and apply yourself you will get runs.”

The batsman declined to comment what was match winning score and felt that the team needs plan and assess the conditions in the world cup.

He said, “At this moment, I cannot say what a safe score is. We will have to look at the wicket and we will have to look at the conditions. We have to look at the opposition as well and then plan accordingly.

“I feel that we just can’t go into the tournament thinking that we should have this much score and we should defend it. I think we should take it game by game. Every game will be very important.  “

Rohit defended the bowlers’ performance against Pakistan by calling it an “off day” for them.

He said, “No, not at all. It was one of those bad days I would say. If you look at the last game against Sri Lanka, the bowlers got plenty of wickets we defended a low score, which was on that track which was 145-odd runs. It was not a par score [for that track] yet the bowlers defended that.

“Yes, we had an off day today. I am sure we will come on hard against Afghanistan and from there on.”

He further added, “Talking about the past tour to Sri Lanka, it was frustrating. I was not in great form but everyone showed faith in me which is very encouraging for me. I have certainly worked hard on my batting and my fitness as well and I think it is showing. “

Rohit is confident that openers Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir would come good in the World T20. He said, “It is very important in any format you play. Getting a good start is important. They have been batting really well; there is no doubt about that.

“I am sure that in the coming games when they actual the tournament starts they will come good. They have experience playing in these conditions and I feel it is just a matter of one game and we are right there after that.”

ICC Twenty20 World Cup 2012: Match time table with group details

No comments:

Post a Comment